This is a very old recipe that makes a nice clear wine.
- 5lbs Parsnips
- 3lbs granulated sugar
- 1 gallon of water
- An orange
- A Lemon
- Slice of lightly-toasted bread
- 1/2 oz of yeast
- Slice and boil the parsnips until soft (about 25 minutes)
- Add sugar and juice of the fruits
- Boil liquid for 45 minutes
- Pour into a wide mouthed container or bucket, cover with a cloth and leave to cool to lukewarm.
- Spread the yeast on the toast and float on top of the parsnip liquid.
- Stir every day for 14 days.
- Skim off all the scum.
- Cover with cloth and leave for 6 months to ferment in a stable temperature (out of draughts).
- Siphon off the wine into clean bottles and store.