Skip to content
- 2 – 46oz containers of 100% White Grape Juice.
- 2 cups of granulated white sugar
- 1 sachet active dried yeast
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cups of water
- A one gallon glass jug with a narrow neck. (A fruit juice container)
- Plastic funnel
- Cork and air lock
- 4ft plastic tubing
- 5 wine bottles
- 5 corks or screw caps (don’t re-use corks) or, another gallon jug with a screw cap.
- Wash every utensil you use in very hot water immediately before using. Rinse thoroughly. It is very important that everything is spotlessly clean. Any contamination will produce vinegar or worse!
- Start the yeast “starter mixture : Mix yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 cup of warm water. Leave the mixture to bubble while you prepare the wine.
- Dissolve the remainder of the sugar in hot water, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the sugar dissolves completely. Leave to cool. Pour juice, sugar solution and lemon juice into gallon container.
- Swirl the container to mix the ingredients well, then add the yeast mix. Bung and construct an air lock.
- Place in an undisturbed location at an even temperature, (70 degrees Fahrenheit or higher). Leave 5 months. (This wine should clear without any help if you don’t disturb it.
- Siphon the wine carefully into wine bottles or gallon jug using the plastic tubing (avoid the bottom inch and all of the sedimentation at the bottom of the jug. )
- If you are using corks, soak them for about 10 minutes in hot water while you are bottling, and fit tightly into the neck of each bottle. If necessary, tap in carefully with a wooden mallet. Store your wine in a cool area or refrigerate. Drink when chilled.